Sunday, February 23, 2020

Film Opening Project (blog 5, Disney edition)

Good evening :) I'm posting this pretty late but it's because I just came back from Disney. This weekend I went to Hollywood Studios to see Galaxy's Edge ('Star Wars land') with my family. Being a huge Star Wars fan myself, I loved the new additions to the park and I had a really good time. I know you're wondering what visiting Disney has anything to do with my project, but I got some  inspiration while I was there.

Photos of the "village square"

While the overall design of Galaxy's Edge has no relationship with the idea for our film opening, one thing that really stuck out to me was the color palette within this area. A lot of warm browns and oranges were used, with some dashes of blues within hanging cloths, and with the blue sky too. My godfather took the photo (seen below) and then it hit me.

Photo of a rusty "landspeeder"

The oranges and blues in this photo (complementary colors) looked really good together, and I also liked the 'earthy' tones it had. I knew immediately that these should be the main palette within our project. The emotions that the colors convey will also be very fitting of our character or the story we are trying to tell. Orange suggests creativity or 'spunkiness' (our character is an artist) and the blues suggest conservatism, which also works really well since we want to make sure our character is not viewed as 'psycho' or 'chaotic'. Here are the specific colors I would want to use: 




I included the use of the cream color because I feel that it is a nice 'buffer' in between the contrasting colors, and it also works to create some resemblance of a complete palette. From what I have learned, a color palette consisting of two complementary colors does not look appealing unless someone is deliberately trying to create high contrast. For us, I do not think it makes sense to create high contrast because we want our film to feel comfortable and realistic. This color palette reminds me of the movie Juno (2007), which I think is good because the light-hearted tone of that film is exactly what we want to portray in our film as well. 

Movie poster for Juno, as you can see orange is heavily used
With this stuff I have collected, I can start creating more coherent mood boards! I am also planning on possibly creating a Pinterest board, as I feel the formatting of the website is perfect for making mood boards. Also, although I did not get the time this weekend, I will begin working on some sketches for character designs and/or scenes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment