Saturday, February 29, 2020

Film Opening Project (blog 7, fresh start)

So, scratch our previous idea I guess, haha.

After a discussion with our AICE Media teacher, it was clear that even attempting to make a story about a schizophrenic character was a very hard task. She made many good points, like how we were portray symptoms or which direction we wanted to take our story (happy ending or sad one). But the thing that really stuck out to me was when she asked "why do you want the audience to care about this character?"

And I had no clue.

It's such a simple question, and I just had no clue. I had a purpose of the film, but I had no idea why I wanted people to care about this character. It was in that moment I realized something with our project had to change. That's what we have been doing this past week, trying to come up with a new idea (hence the lack of any postings during the week). Honestly I was starting to get really nervous because I did not want to get behind on our schedule, but after brainstorming on Friday, we came up with a new idea!

Our NEW story will instead revolve around a social media influencer. We want to create a story around the realities and pressures of being a person who lives off social media, and how being invested in such platforms can be very damaging to a person's esteem. As for our opening, we plan on introducing our character by having them struggling to take a picture to post on our instagram, and then comparing themselves to other celebs.

Granted, I should mention that this story was not something that was completely made up. The reason how I got this idea was through a really famous instagram model Essena O'Neill, who famously gave up social media in 2015. The story is very long, but basically she gave up social media because she felt that she was 'keeping up a persona' and losing touch with her self-esteem in the progress. She made a video speaking about it, and I remember watching her video three years ago.


I feel as if this aspect of being an influencer or being on social media in general is not talked about.  As a person who uses instagram quite often, I find myself getting 'wrapped up' in other people's lives and wishing what they had, and I forget that they are people too. I also forget that not everything you see on social media is the full picture. There's a lot more that can be happening within a person's life and one may never know it unless that person shows it to you, and it is so easy to create that facade within apps. Because of that, I really want to make a story about it.

We got the permission from our teacher to proceed with this project, and tomorrow I'm meeting up with my group partners and we will work on shelling out our character and other components for our opening. I can't wait to get this project moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment