Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Film Opening Project (blog 17)

Alrighty, so change of plans (again)!

We decided that we are going to plan in my bedroom instead of Oliver's space, which means we need a few days to prepare. Basically, this is a long-winded way of saying we are filming tomorrow instead of Tuesday.

Yesterday we were talking about how we want our set to look like, and we all agreed on the idea that our character should have a 'blank' area as her photoshoot space, and the rest of her room should look like a colorful tornado. Thing is, my whole room looks like a colorful tornado, so for today I worked on perfecting our mise-en-scene. For starters, I changed the prints within the frames. I found magazine pages and various sketches to replace colorful prints for more neutral tones, thus sticking to our idea of an elegant, mature palette.

From this...

To this!
Secondly, I needed to strip any object that suggests individuality and/or personality. In my case, this meant getting rid of all of my art supplies, personal figurines, and my beloved pink base. I also placed a table cloth over my art desk so there would be no sign of color within this area.

Before 

After (had to repot my cactus for this, sorry lil' bud)
All done!
The other side of the set, looks like one of those I-SPY photos

I feel that there is a very clear contrast in between the two spaces. While the photo area looks clean, it looks almost cold in comparison to the other area. I feel that this creates a very good reflection of the character, as the second space has a lot more things that suggest that our character is, well, an actual person. She has messes and she has things that say things about her, it isn't as monotone as what she wants her followers to see.

I am not completely finished; I still need to set up the mirror and also the whole vanity space. However, judging the fact that I need to move a desk into the middle of my room in order for that to happen, I'm planning on waiting for tomorrow to do that. 

As you know, the Coronavirus is preventing us from going out to the store to get props (which was our initial idea), so I had to get creative with finding things I already have laying around. I'm always up for a challenge, and I think I did a pretty good job! I can't wait for filming tomorrow, hopefully everything runs smoothly and we won't run into any bumps along the road, I'll keep you guys posted. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment