Sunday, March 22, 2020

Film Opening Project (blog 20)

Before I start with my project, I want to say happy 20th anniversary of blog posting! :D I've been looking through my old blogs and seeing how far I've come in this project, and all I can say is that I'm very proud of our group and myself for accomplishing this much. It isn't over yet, but what we have been doing is pretty cool nonetheless!

Okay, back to the important stuff. I was searching for more music on Youtube and I still found nothing. I was getting pretty bored of searching so I decided for today I wanted to look at other film shorts/openings that covered topics that are similar to our story. I'm hoping that by doing this, I can get a better idea of our target audience and the impact of the representation we have within our film opening.

It didn't take a lot of looking to find videos that covered social media. There are thousands of short films, TED-Talks, speeches, and commentary videos on the subject, and there's also a lot of people putting their two cents on how they feel about social media. The majority of these videos that I found painted social media in a negative light, warning audiences about the affects it has.

Here are the results after I searched 'social media'; I wanted to see what would come up if I searched using neutral language and still a majority of it was negative.

Another thing I noticed that the representation within this topic seems to be pretty equal amongst both genders. I have to be honest, this surprised me. When I think of social media, I was lead to believe that woman are more impacted by it in comparison to men, therefore they would care more about these issues. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I am planning to do more research on how men interact with social media in the future, that is definitely something I should look into.


As I was scrolling through youtube, I found this short titled A Social Life, directed by Kerith Lemon. I wanted to include this video within this post because I feel that it beautifully conveys the message I want to show within our own story, so maybe we can look at it as inspiration in the editing stage. I also really like the music within the film, so maybe we can look to this video to serve as a guide to find a song that'll match the tone in our opening.

It's taking me a long time to research yet I've only scratched the tip of the iceberg, I definitely need to look into this more and see what else I can find, I'll keep you guys posted. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=social+media+both+genders+stats&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS863US863&hl=en&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ALeKk00F8BZgv1i9ccefbxuaEilQpMHb4Q:1584941853318&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR-5_B8K_oAhWkgnIEHfisAxoQ_AUIDygC&biw=987&bih=684&dpr=2
https://netsanity.net/social-media-and-its-effect-on-boys/
http://cs4lv.stab.org/78digitallife.html
(here are some links I found regarding social media and its affects, it also contains information on social media demographics)

1 comment:

  1. You are doing such a wonderful job with these posts! And, it seems as if your project is coming along well. Good job with adapting!

    ReplyDelete